1860 Place Names
Academy of Springfield 1849 B.M., p. 5.
Alms House 1860 census, p. 404
Baptizing Hole northeast corner of Governor’s Mansion.
Bathing House D. King: south side of square.
Chenery House northeast corner of 4th and Washington.
City Grave Yard
City Hotel Joel Johnson
Cottage Hill area along Spring between Adams and Monroe Streets.
The Eagle Block. northwest corner of 6th and Washington.
Enterprise Building north side of Washington, between 4th and 5th.
Farmers’ Hotel 1849 B.M.m p. 7: a few doors west of W.P. Grimsley’s Strore
Forquer Grove George Forquer grove between 2nd and 3rd--1830 Prickett
Franklin Hotel 1849 B.M, p. 9: 6th Street north.
German Republic Boarding House northwest corner of Madison and 5th.
Grove Temple, Capitol, p. 14.
Hoffman's Row extending northward from Washington on the west side of Fifth, and erected in 1835.
Hutchinson Cemetery West end of Adams Street.
Kessler’s Grove West end of Reynolds Street. Probably east of Walnut along Reynolds.
September 18, 1856: Late in the morning the inevitable procession formed and proceeded to the grove of P.P. Enos and A. Kessler northwest of the city. There, after one other speaker, Stephan A. Douglas took the stand. Angle, Here I Have Lived, pp. 218 to 219.
Klein’s Row west side of 5th between Madison and Mason (southwest corner of 5th and Mason)
Johnson Block north side of Washington, between 3rd and 4th.
J. L. Lamb’s Mill 1849 B.M., p. 9.
Market On Capital at 9th Street.
Manning House South Side of Monroe, between 4th and 5th.
Manning, G.S., proprietor.
Manning House, sw cor. Monroe and 5th.
Masonic Hall 5th and Monroe
Miller Building West Side of Square.
Lincoln and Herndon Law Offices on the 2nd floor, rear of this building.
Photo of the building on Lincoln's funeral day.
Newsomeville Now Thomas Lewis’ Third Addition
Old Brick Tavern 1849 B.M., p. 20.
Old Catholic Cemetery
Old Dickey Stand 1849 B.M., p. 5.
Old Indian Camping Ground P. P. Enos 1st Street on Madison St.
Porter’s Grove West Jefferson, near Walnut
Day by Day, p. 95. September 29, 1838: Two thousand Whigs and Conservatives celebrate Stuart’s election to Congress with barbecue at Porter’s Grove. Speeches are made by Lincoln, Stuart, May, Hardin, Servant, Bond, Baker, and Henry. Lincoln’s speech is “pithy in his own peculiar style and showed off some of the prominent features of Mr. Van Buren’s administration.” Alton Telegraph, Oct. 10.
Springfield Gas and Light Company West Washington.
The Cottage Greenleaf-Nurseryman & Florists: Washington, 1/2 mile east of State House.
The Shades above the Catholic Church and near the rail road: 1849 B.M, p. 16.: Monroe and 9th or thereabouts. southwest corner of 9th and Adams: Journal, Ag. 24, 1849.
Sleepy Hallow 1849 B.M., p. 20: 6th Street South.
Todd Square 1st to 2nd: North Side: Present (2007) site of State House Inn
Hotel and State of Illinois offices.
Tyndale Hill Lewis and Monroe Cormack, Rivers: Stuart. Built and lived in a cabin on Monroe, on part of Tyndale hill, but had ceased to occupy it when Stuart arrived in 1828
Union Row south side of Washington between 4th and 5th.
Vinegar Hill area bounded by the city limits on the west, Spriing street on the ease and Monroe and Edwards to the north and south.
Walnut Grove John B. Watson grove settled by him 1829 then Mather then State House.
Mather Property, 1849 B.M, p. 16.
Watson Grove settled by John B. Watson in 1829: then Mather; then State House grounds.
Watson Block Cook Street, between 9th and 10th.
Largest grove--present Gov. Mansion
B.M. = Business Men.